Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2012

Enjoy Exercising While Pregnant

Many of my clients are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant in the near future. One must always talk with their Doctor, but in most circumstances exercising while pregnant is healthy and actually recommended. There are a list of benefits not only to the mother, but also to the baby including shorter delivery and more alertness when the baby is born. I exercised all throughout my pregnancy and also taught strength and yoga classes up to a couple of days before I had my son, Drake. Due to my physical strength and mental focus I personally felt my delivery went very smooth.
Here are some strategies that I found helpful during my pregnancy and that have helped others:

-Even if you do not feel like working out still do something whether it is just a walk, yoga class, or a lower intensity version of your regular workout.
-Be ok with modifying your workouts to fit your specific needs. Each trimester will pose a new set of challenges so being flexible is key to success.
-Be nice to yourself mentally! Stop that negative chatter about the weight that you have gained, the reduced level of fitness, the changes in your body shape, etc. Enjoy being pregnant and know that it is the greatest gift of all!
-Become in touch with your body through yoga. Yoga connects the body and mind. Exploring your deeper self and your physical self in a well structured yoga class can open your mind and heart to all that is going on throughout your pregnancy. It can also help you connect with the growing baby inside!
-Move a little slower when doing strength training especially when going from floor exercises to standing and vice versa. Know that you will be out of breath easier and adjust time between exercises.
-Use your rate of perceived exertion and stay around a 5-7 on a 10 scale.

MOST IMPROTANTLY: Do your Kegel exercisesJ

No comments:

Post a Comment