Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Interval Training

You probably have seen the individual on the bike, treadmill, or elliptical paying more attention to a magazine, book, movie, or TV show. You might even be that person. In my mind if I am going to hop on a machine I am going to give it my all and burn as many calories as possible. Being a mom I have realized that time is even more of a premium and I don’t have as much time to exercise as before.

In comes interval training! I can burn tons of calories in a short period of time and studies show the calories that I burn after my workout is higher as well.

So here are two great interval workouts to kick your workout up a notch and make the most of your time doing cardio!

 Workout 1 (Treadmill)

 Warm-up with brisk pace walk 3minutes

 Pick up speed and jog at a level that you can maintain through the climbs

 Increase the grade 1 % every minute until at 10% grade.  Decrease same way until back down to 0% grade. 

 Maintain the pace at 0% grade but kick up the speed to a sprint for 2 minutes.

 Slow down the pace for cool down the last 4 minutes.


 Workout 2 (bike, elliptical, or Treadmill)

Warm-up:

Do a 3-5 min. steady pace on machine

Workout: Work at your average speed and intertwine spurts of sprints (moving very quickly) every 4 minutes for 30 minutes. Sprints are going to be for 60 seconds each.

After the following minutes sprint for one minute.
4 min sprint
9 min sprint
14 min sprint
19 min sprint
24 min sprint
29 min sprint
 
Cool down: slow down the pace for 2-3 minutes and stretch


Enjoy burning those calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment