Search This Blog

Monday, June 4, 2012

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

I participated in the Run for the Sol this past weekend. It was a 5k walk/run designed for individuals new to the event. It was great to see so many people literally taking their first steps towards better health.
The theme of the event was “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff.” I think this is fitting in most situations. I have many clients who get caught up in the minor things. They allow those minor things to become boulders that stop them in their tracks.

I encourage you to think about the small things that you allow to frazzle you or to ruffle your feathers. How can you acknowledge these things, but then let them go?

In her book Creative Visualization Shakti Gawain has a Clearing Exercise you can utilize. There are four steps, but the first two and the last one are the most powerful. I encourage you to check out her book for the rest of the activity as well as other great ways to attract what you want in life.

Step #1
Take a piece of paper and at the top write, “The reason I can’t have what I want is…” You are then to write a list of anything that comes to your mind such as:
I am too lazy
I don’t have enough time
I feel guilty
I am afraid

Step #2
Write the specific thing you can’t have along with the reason.  For example, “The reason I can’t leave my dead end job is because I am afraid to do something new.” After this step sit with your list and get a sense of the limitations you place on yourself.

Step #4
Create affirmations to help over come these negative thoughts and statements.

Enjoy a more clear focus on your goals. Letting the small stuff go, because most of the time it all things to not sweat over!

No comments:

Post a Comment