Search This Blog

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Another Take on Food Logging

I was listening to Dr John Berardi’s interview with Ann Wixon for the Future of Health Now 2012 series on Fat Loss Secrets For Successful Body Transformation and his take on logging food intrigued me.  He said that by counting calories you are looking for math to tell you when you are full or what you should eat. You forget or loose track of using your sensors.
I am a big advocate of logging and find numerous benefits in utilizing this as a tool for improving your health and losing weight. I can personally relate to what Dr John Berardi is saying though. I have caught myself after logging my food and being low on calories for the day eating more even when I wasn’t necessarily hungry. I have also noticed after measuring out my food I have a tendency to eat it all no matter if I’m hungry or not because that was the serving/meal. Personally I know that slowing down my eating and being more aware will make a huge difference in my eating habits.

The message to take away from this statement is not to stop logging, but that first and foremost we need to listen to the body. Dr John Berardi said the first step to success is paying attention to “The Process “ of your eating (how, what, why, etc).

 Here are some strategies to start paying attention:

  • Slow down eating giving yourself at least 15 minutes to eat a meal and 5 minutes for a snack.
  • Make sure you are sitting at the table to eat. Create a relaxed atmosphere. Try to refrain from eating in your car or on the go.
  • Before, throughout the whole meal, and once finished eating evaluate your hunger cues. Never allow yourself to get too hungry and eat till you are about 80% full.
  • Working on leaving a little food on your plate at each meal to break the clean the plate club.
  • Ask yourself the following questions:
    • I’m I relaxed and enjoying my food?
    • Are my choices mentally and physically satisfying?
    • Do I feel energized after I eat or do I want to take a nap?
These questions are a great start in working with “The Process” of your eating. If you are looking for more suggestions check out The Rules of "Normal" Eating: A Commonsense Approach for Dieters, Overeaters, Undereaters, Emotional Eaters, and Everyone in Between! by Karen Koenig.

Enjoy exploring your Process of eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment