Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Apertura

I watched the movie Eat, Pray, Love with Julia Roberts this weekend. I have read the book and this was my second time watching the movie. The whole story is about self-exploration for Julia Roberts’ character Liz Gilbert. She is in a life that she thought she wanted, yet she feels numb. She decides to travel to Italy, India, and Bali each for a month. In her travels she learns to appreciate nourishment, discovers the power of prayer, and falls in love.

While in Italy a group of friends were talking about the word that describes themselves. When Liz was asked her word she couldn’t come up with one. Then at the end of the movie she finally discovers her Italian word, “Attraversiamo “  or “Let’s Cross Over”. Liz finally discovered herself enough to take the leap of faith and fall in love again. To not lose herself in the relationship, but be enhanced with the joining.

 After careful thought my word would be “Apertura” or “Openness”.  Being open to all things (relationships, opportunities, exploration, challenges, helping others). In my Valedictorian speech on my high school graduation night I talked about the doors that we would be opening. We were safe and comfortable behind those blue doors of Weston High School, but now it was time for us to walk through new ones. I want to be constantly ready to walk or leap with my whole self in order to be the best person possible.

If you were to pick a word what would it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment